Kauaʻi Community College begins search for new chancellor
The search has begun for Kauaʻi Community College’s next chancellor.
The position was announced locally and nationally on July 26 with an expected start date of July 1, 2024.
Margaret Sanchez was appointed interim chancellor on Jan. 3, 2023 after the previous chancellor, Joseph Daisy, retired in December 2022.
The Chancellor Search Advisory Committee met with Della Teraoka, acting vice president for the University of Hawaiʻi Community Colleges, in May to initiate the search.
“Kauaʻi [Community College] is seeking a collaborative, culturally responsive leader with an evidence-based commitment to community engagement and meeting workforce needs,” said Teraoka.
- August 2023: the Chancellor Search Advisory Committee begins screening applicants and nominees.
- January/February 2024: In addition to in-person finalist interviews, on-campus visits will be scheduled to ensure that students, faculty, staff, administrators and other stakeholders are able to attend open forums.
- March 2024: Teraoka submits her recommended candidate for appointment to University of Hawai‘i President David Lassner.
- July 2024: Expected start date of the new chancellor.
The 18-member Chancellor Search Advisory Committee includes representation from faculty, students, Makaloa Council (Native Hawaiian council), civil service staff, Administrative Professional and Technical staff, administrator, organizational units and community leaders.
- Sharon Ehlers, faculty—Chancellor Search Advisory Committee co-chair
- Ryan Girard, faculty—Chancellor Search Advisory Committee co-chair
- Valerie Barko, Institutional Effectiveness and University Center
- Kalei Carvalho, Makaloa Council
- Daniel Hamada, community
- Frankie Harriss, administrator
- Jaclyn Kaina, community
- Zion Kaluahine-Gambeng, student
- Deanne Koshi, administrative services
- Duke Lang, faculty
- Cheryl Lum, continuing education
- Maritza Medina, Administrative Professional and Technical staff
- Robert Moura, civil service
- Rob Nii, faculty
- Chanel Rodrigues, student
- Kailana Soto, student affairs
- Eric San George, faculty
- Anthony Vea, civil service
- Gordon Talbo, search coordinator
For more information on the Kauaʻi Community College chancellor position, see: https://kauai.hawaii.edu/chancellorsearch.