Hilo Muni Course to Undergo Partial Closures
Hilo Municipal Golf Course will be shortened and temporary greens will open as renovation continues at the golf course.
The Hawai’i County Department of Parks and Recreation notes that beginning on Monday, Feb. 8, play will be limited to the front nine holes, which will include a temporary ninth green.
Once work on the back nine holes are completed, those holes will open as renovation shifts to the front of the course. Temporary greens will be opened at the 17th and 18th holes until new grass is established on the reconstructed greens.
In addition, temporary tee boxes will open at the 15th hole to allow for construction access.
Through mid-May, the rotating partial closures will continue. Tee times will also be modified during that time to allow golfers to play two rounds and create the equivalent of an 18-hole golfing experience.
Renovations on the course will include:
- Reconstructing the 9th, 17th, and 18th greens
- Constructing a new 14th green and using the existing green as a temporary green
- Replacing all course waterlines
- Installing new accessible drinking fountains throughout the course
- Constructing new accessible shelters at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, and 18th tees
- Constructing new accessible restrooms at the 4th and 12th tees
- Performing structural and safety repairs to the course bridges
- Tree removal