Frying Oil Ignites, Burns Down Puna Home
A house in Mountain View was destroyed Thursday night by a fire started by frying food.
Firefighters arriving at the home at 18-1263 Kona St. at 7:36 p.m. found the structure engulfed in flames.
They were told by the resident that he was deep-frying food when the oil caught fire and flames spread to the rest of the building.
Personnel from the Keaau Fire Station used a tanker truck to fight the blaze as no nearby water source was available.
The value of the approximately 720-square-foot home in Hawaiian Island Paradise Acres off Ihope Road was estimated at $128,000.
No injuries were reported.
Red Cross volunteers arrived at the scene as firefighters were leaving to assist the occupant with emergency needs.