Water to be Shut Off in Much of Hilo
Water service will be shut off for four hours tonight across a broad swath of Hilo to allow for a new waterline connection.
The affected area extends from Mohouli Street to Waianuenue Avenue and Kaumana Drive.
The county Department of Water Supply said the shut-off will last from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday. The move will allow the department to make a connection to the Pi‘ihonua Reservoir No. 2 replacement project.
The areas affected include all service connections:
- Along Waianuenue Avenue from Waiau Street to Hilo High School, including Rainbow Drive and Reeds Island;
- Along Kaumana Drive from Ainako Avenue to Waianuenue Avenue, including Kaumana Gardens subdivision and all connecting side roads and subdivisions;
- Along Punahle Street from Kaumana Drive to Halai Street, including Halai Hill;
- Along Komohana Street from Waianuenue Avenue to Mohouli Street, including Komohana 79, Puuhonu Place and Puuhonu Place, Sunrise Ridge and Sunset Estates subdivisions;
- Along Ponahawai Street from Komohana Street to Homelani Cemetery;
- Along Kukuau Street from Komohana Street to Ilima Lane, including all side toads; and
- Along Mohouli Street from Komohana Street to Kumukoa Street, including all side roads.
Upon resumption of water service, the waterlines will be flushed and cleaned, during which time customers may notice turbid and/or discolored water. Air may also become trapped in the line which will be released when taps are opened.