East Hawaii News

Hot Water Heater Fire Damages Kalapana Home

April 23, 2012, 9:45 AM HST
* Updated April 23, 9:46 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

A fire apparently started by a faulty hot water heater damaged a Kalapana home Sunday afternoon.

Michele Marzullo, owner of the house on Aloha Road in the Black Sands subdivision, was at home shortly after 2:38 p.m. when she heard two explosions from the vicinity of the hot water heater in a storage area under the building, Capt. Alex Almeida of the Pahoa fire station said in a statement.

Firefighters arriving at the home at 2:52 p.m. found flames coming from the storage area. It took about 18 minutes to extinguish the blaze which partially burned a wall, support post and floor joists, Almeida said.

Damage was estimated at $3,000, while the remainder of the 700-square-foot structure was valued at $70,000. No injuries were reported.

 

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Cancel
Mahalo for Subscribing
×

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments