Five cats rescued during house fire in Hilo
Hawai’i County Fire Department officials responded to a fire in Hilo Saturday at around 2:45 p.m. where no occupants were injured and five cats were rescued.
According to a release, officials responded to a house fire at 523 Nohea Street in Hilo and found an unoccupied single story dwelling with heavy smoke throughout the house and smoke billowing through windows.
Active burning was happening in one bedroom and in an exterior garage with large propane tank violently releasing pressure.
Firefighters forced entry through the front door and used attack lines to extinguish the fire.
According to the release, the total loss is estimated at around $50,000, and the fire was out at around 3:45 p.m.