Shack structure destroyed in blaze after lit gas lantern falls over, resident reports
An unpermitted structure in Puna went up in flames after the resident said a lit gas lantern fell over and ignited the flames.
Hawai‘i Fire Department responded to the fire on Monday at 6:07 p.m. on Kuleana Drive in the Ainaloa Subdivision of Pāhoa. When they arrived on scene, they found a single-story 20-foot-by-20-foot wood structure fully engulfed in fire.
Crews created a safe scene before working to extinguish the fire. The blaze was put by 7:05 p.m. According to fire officials, the resident requested to be taken to Hilo Medical Center for emotional distress due to the loss of his home.
He was not physically injured.
Thirteen firefighters responded to the blaze with four engines and one tanker.