Hawai‘i County invites public participation in General Plan review, update
The County of Hawai’i Planning Department has expressed gratitude to the communities and stakeholders who actively participated in the extensive public outreach process so far during the Hawai’i County General Plan Comprehensive Review and Update.
This comprehensive review, initiated in 2015 by the Planning Department, sought input from the island-wide community, stakeholders, numerous County and State agencies, Community Development Plan Action Committees, and the Hawai’i County Council.
The General Plan establishes the vision, policies and actions necessary to enhance the overall quality of life. It addresses crucial topics such as active living, climate change, quality jobs, housing choice and affordability, local economy, and traffic. As part of the ongoing planning process, the Planning Department has created a public engagement plan. Residents and stakeholders are urged to actively engage in these critical discussions.
The opportunities for engagement include the following:
- The Planning Department will be hosting a recorded video series on the Department’s YouTube channel. (https://youtube.com/@countyofhawaiiplanningdepa4156?si=H0ubIEAJJq15E9Z0)
- Public Informational Workshops have been scheduled for:
- Sept. 30 at the West Hawai‘i Civic Center, Building G from 2-4 p.m.
- Oct. 7 at Auntie Sally’s Luau Hale from 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- The General Plan Team will be conducting Roadshow Presentations. These are opportunities for community groups to request a short presentation at their regular meetings.
- The General Plan Team will have informational booths at various planned community events, like the Revitalize Puna event.
- Online workshops have been scheduled for:
- Oct. 10 from 5-7 p.m.
- Oct. 18 from 5-7p.m.
Following the conclusion of the public comment period, planners will evaluate and incorporate the feedback received into a final recommended draft, marking the beginning of the adoption process. The final recommended draft will be forwarded to the Windward and Leeward Planning Commissions for separate hearings.
All members of the community are warmly welcomed and encouraged to participate in the process, offering their valuable testimonies during the hearings. The County Council, which is responsible for the final review and adoption, will also provide an opportunity for public testimony.
To stay informed about upcoming events, progress, and the overall process, interested individuals can sign up for the Department’s eNews at www.planning.hawaiicounty.gov/general-plan-community-planning/gp/connect. For more information, please contact the County of Hawai’i Planning Department at 101 Pauahi Street, Suite 3, Hilo, HI 96720. You can reach them via phone at (808) 961-8288 or email at [email protected].