Update: Police identify four more victims from Lāhainā wildfire
The Maui Police Department on Sept. 3 released the name of four more victims of the deadly Aug. 8 Lāhainā wildfire, bringing the number of those killed in the deadliest wildfire in the past century in the United States officially identified to 54.
Police confirmed Nicholas Turbin III, 71; Anthony “Tony” Simpson, 43; Glenda Yabes, 48; and John “Thumper” McCarthy, 74; all of Lāhainā were identified and their next to kin notified.
The death toll remains at a total of 115.
Below is the following people who have been officially identified as victims of the fire:
- 69-year-old Leroy Wagner.
- 69-year-old Tim Nakamoto.
- 86-year-old Joseph Lara.
- 83-year-old Gwendolyn Puou.
- 76-year-old Edward Sato.
- 50-year-old Eugene Recolizado.
- 59-year-old Mark Kaminsky.
- 59-year-old David Nuesca Jr.
- 28-year-old Poomaikai Losano.
- 73-year-old Carolyn Ono.
- 75-year-old Pablo Pagdilao III.
- 59-year-old Coleen Jones.
- 68-year-old Roxanne Ibara-Hinau.
- 68-year-old Rogelio Mabalot.
- 61-year-old Todd Nakamura.
- 75-year-old Bernard Portabes.
- 7-year-old Tony Takafua.
- 39-year-old Salote Tone.
- 70-year-old Faaoso Tone.
- 73-year-old Maluifonua Tone.
- 73-year-old Bette Jo Dyckman.
- 57-year-old Rebecca Rans.
- 66-year-old Tau Ponali.
- 78-year-old Valerie Kauffman.
- 77-year-old Salvador Coloma.
- 54-year-old Carlo Tobias.
- 62-year-old Albert Kitaguchi.
- 74-year-old Lynn Manibog.
- 74-year-old Clyde Wakida.
- 68-year-old Todd Yamafuji.
- 64-year-old Antonia Molina.
- 80-year-old Freeman Tam Lung.
- 67-year-old Joseph Schilling.
- 67-year-old Narciso Baylosis Jr.
- 67-year-old Vanessa Baylosis.
- 59-year-old Douglas Gloege.
- 45-year-old Juan Deleon.
- 75-year-old Conchita Sagudang.
- 55-year-old Danilo Sagudang.
- 76-year-old Rodolfo Rocutan.
- 76-year-old Jonathan Somaoang.
- 88-year-old Angelita Vasquez.
- 71-year-old Donna Gomes.
- 71-year-old Melva Benjamin.
- 90-year-old Virginia Dofa.
- 79-year-old Alfredo Galinato.
- 74-year-old Robert Dyckman.
- 79-year-old Buddy Jantoc.
- 67-year-old George Hall III of Kahului.
- 72-year-old Theresa Cook of California.
After some names were removed and others added, there is little change to the number of unaccounted for individuals following the Lahaina disaster. An updated list shows 385 people reported missing.
The FBI reports the number will fluctuate as lists from various sources are merged. Maui Police Chief John Pelletier said more than 200 people responded to the department’s last list, and more than 120 DNA samples have been collected from family members to date.
The FBI-validated list is updated weekly. The names are being provided to the public to help identify anyone still missing.
To view the list, click here.
More than 3,000 people initially reported unaccounted for have been found safe so far.
As of Friday, the Lāhainā Fire remained 90% contained after burning an estimated 2,170 acres. The Olinda Fire remained 85% contained and had burned 1,081 acres, while containment of the Kula Fire increased to 90%. That blaze scorched about 202 acres.
The Maui Fire Department said extinguishing the Upcountry blazes could take an extended period of time given the large burn area and the nature of the rural terrain.
Although containment percentages have not changed much in recent days, firefighters continue to reassure the public that there are no active threats.