Dr. Cheryl Soon next guest of Archives and Inquiry virtual speaker series
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives presents the next installment of its Archives and Inquiry Virtual Speaker Series on Aug. 8 with Dr. Cheryl Soon.
The event takes place from 12 to 1 p.m.
The speaker series highlights the discoveries and work of diverse history and humanities scholars that work with Hawaiian Mission Houses’ extensive archives.
The one-hour presentations begin with the guest speakers and end with question and answer sessions with the audience. The talk will be presented via Zoom. Visit www.hawaiianmissionhouses.org for the link.
Soon is a fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners and will speak on her latest book, “Reflections in Stone and Bronze: Exploring Hawaiʻi’s History through Sculpture.” The book looks through the lens of Hawaiʻi’s statues to explore 60 historical figures, their ties to Hawaiʻi’s history and culture, as well as to consider how their values and accomplishments are memorialized.
Soon was director of the Department of Transportation Services for the City and County of Honolulu; chief planning officer for the City & County of Honolulu; deputy director for Highways, State of Hawaiʻi, Department of Transportation; and executive director of the Oʻahu
Metropolitan Planning Organization.
Within the private sector, Soon has held senior management positions with significant Island planning firms. Her work as a project manager in charge has won several awards, and she is distinguished as a fellow in the American Institute of Certified Planners, the highest honor available for a professional planner.
Future Archives and Inquiry Programs:
Oct. 10 from 12- 1 p.m. via Zoom
- Susan Corley will speak about her new book “Leveraging Sovereignty: Kauikeaouli’s Global Strategy for the Hawaiian Nation, 1825–1854” about the long reign of King Kamehameha III.
Dec. 12 12- 1 p.m. via Zoom
- Christopher Cook will speak about the history of Christmas in Hawaiʻi.
- Sept. 9: Huaka‘i Annual Fundraiser and Online Auction
- Sept. 30: Family Day Open House
- Nov. 25: Hawaiian Mission Houses Holiday Craft Fair
- Dec. 2: Honolulu City Lights Parade
- Dec. 12: Archives and Inquiry Virtual Speaker Series
For more information or ticket purchases, visit: www.hawaiianmissionhouses.org. Follow #HawaiianMissionHouses and @hawaiian_mission_houses.