Sack N Save in Hilo evacuated Friday evening due to unknown white smoke
The Hawaiʻi Fire Department with members of its Haz Mat Company responded Friday night to a report of unknown white smoke originating from a machine room in the back of the Sack N Save grocery store in Hilo.
The smoke was spreading into the store.
Fire personnel found no signs of heat or fire.
The store was evacuated, with all staff accounted for. No complaints were reported.
Air sampling and monitoring was performed. The material was identified by a system technician as freon gas escaping from a damaged refrigerator system compressor. Repairs were made by the technician.
Store remained closed to the public Friday night to ventilate the air and was expected to re-open Saturday.