Which Merrie Monarch Festival event was chosen favorite in Big Island Poll #8?
In Big Island Now’s latest poll, we asked readers what was your favorite part of the 60th Annual Merrie Monarch Festival? The winner: ancient hula.
The group hula kahiko competition garnered 104 votes (33%) out of 309 cast.
From April 9 to 15, the sleepy town of Hilo came alive to celebrate the world’s most prestigious hula competition. Events and craft fairs were sprawled out throughout the community. But according to the poll, voters enjoyed kahiko night the most, followed by the Royal Parade and Miss Aloha Hula.
Full poll results:
- Group hula kahiko competition 104 (33%)
- Merrie Monarch Royal Parade 45 (14%)
- Miss Aloha Hula competition 35 (11%)
- The unofficial events and entertainment 31 (10%)
- Group hula ‘auana competition 30 (9%)
- Official Merrie Monarch Hawaiian Arts & Crafts Fair 27 (8%)
- Hōʻike Night 24 (7%)
- Hoʻolauleʻa/opening ceremonies 13 (4%)
Total Votes: 309
On Monday, Big Island’s 30-second poll will ask: What’s the best way to address cat colonies on the Hawai’i Island?