Stove causes fire at Waikoloa condo building after accidentally being turned on
An unattended stove in a Waikōloa apartment unit under renovation caused an estimated $20,000 in damages after its controls were accidentally turned on, sparking a fire late Friday afternoon.
Four units with the Hawai‘i Fire Department responded to the 4:45 p.m. alarm. After arriving just six minutes later to Unit 2502 of Elima Lani Condominiums, located at 68-3890 Lua Kula St., firefighters found residents of the complex using multiple fire extinguishers to put out the blaze in the unit’s kitchen. Fire Department personnel assisted with water, salvage and overhaul.
The fire was put out by 4:55 p.m. and the last fire unit was back in quarters by 5:47 p.m.
The stove’s breaker was tripped and multiple items were found charred on top of the appliance.
No injuries were reported.