Haz-Mat Responds to Chemical Smell at Elementary School in Hilo
A perimeter was created around the library at a Hilo elementary school while emergency responders addressed a strong chemical odor coming from the building Tuesday morning.
Hawaii Fire Department responded with its Haz-Mat company to Chiefess Kapiolani Elementary School at approximately 11:05 a.m. When they arrived on scene, crews identified the odor to be coming from an acid-based sanitizer/disinfectant leaking in a storage room.
Hazardous Materials Specialists utilizing personal protective equipment were able to remove the hazardous chemical, clean the area and ventilate the room. Consulation with the State Department of Health was done in order to properly dispose of the material.
At no time were any students at the school in danger.