DPS Announces 13 Positive COVID Cases Among HCCC Inmates
The state Department of Public Safety on Thursday, Feb. 3, announced 13 positive COVID-19 cases among inmates at Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center and one positive case among staff at Kulani Correctional Facility. Both correctional centers are in Hilo.
COVID testing is continuously being conducted in state prisons and jails as well as in the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz.
The latest testing updates for the correctional facilities are as follows:
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center: 63 inmate test results; 13 positives, 50 negative.
- Kulani Correctional Facility: One positive staff result was reported.
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center: 13 negative inmate test results; 5 positive, 8 negative.
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: 81 inmate test results; 30 positives, 51 negative. Nine positive staff test results were reported.
- Halawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 181 inmate test results; 7 positive, 174 negative.
There are no inmates or staff reported hospitalized.
The Department of Public Safety continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
For more detailed inmate testing data, the department’s Pandemic Plan and information about response efforts made to safeguard inmates, staff and the public, visit the DPS’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage.