DPS: 1 Staff Member at HCCC Tests Positive for COVID
The state Department of Public Safety reported Wednesday, Feb. 2, that one staff member at Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center in Hilo has tested positive for COVID-19. No new infections were reported among inmates at HCCC or Kulani Correctional Facility in Hilo.
COVID testing is continuously being conducted in state prisons and jails as well as in the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz.
The latest testing updates for the correctional facilities are as follows:
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center: 17 inmate test results; 0 positive, 17 negative. One positive staff member.
- Kulani Correctional Facility: 16 inmate test results; 0 positive, 16 negative.
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center: Four inmate test results; 0 positive, 4 negative.
- Maui Community Correctional Center: 31 inmate test results; two positive, 29 negative. One positive employee test result received.
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: One inmate test result; one positive, 0 negative.
- Halawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): One inmate test result; 0 positive, one negative. Two positive employee test results were received.
The Department of Public Safety continues to encourage all staff members and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
For more detailed inmate testing data, the department’s Pandemic Plan and information about response efforts made to safeguard inmates, staff and the public, visit the DPS’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage.