News

2 Injured After Minor Ignition of Propane Tank

October 15, 2021, 8:53 AM HST
* Updated October 15, 10:27 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Two people were injured after a propane tank ignited in the garage of a Hilo home Thursday, Oct. 14.

Hawaiʻi Fire Department responded to the incident called in as a structure fire at 7:03 p.m. When crews arrived on scene at a residence on Pohai Street, Hawaiʻi Police officers had already arrived.

HPD Lt. Rio Amon-Wilkins said the homeowner was changing the propane tank and there was a minor ignition. It was extinguished by the homeowner prior to police/fire arrival.

Two patients were taken to Hilo Medical Center in stable condition, HFD reports. The investigation, which is being handled by HPD, is ongoing.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Cancel
Mahalo for Subscribing
×

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments