Featured Articles

Candle Burns Down Ho‘okena Home

December 16, 2019, 3:43 PM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Hawai‘i Fire Department officials are reporting a total loss after a Ho‘okena home burned to the ground early Sunday.

Firefighters responded to a 7:42 a.m. call of a house fire in Captain Cook. Fire trucks weren’t able to reach the scene for a full 16 minutes “due to its proximity to the nearest fire station” and based on its location “a significant distance down a narrow, unpaved driveway.”

Upon arrival, residents informed HFD that everyone made it out of the house and was accounted for. There were no injuries reported.

“Per residents, (the) fire was started by a candle in the window that lit the screen and spread to the window trim,” an HFD report said.

It took 22 responding firefighters 1 hour and 44 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which was officially snuffed out at 9:42 a.m. Sunday.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The fire was the first of two house fires on the Big Island Sunday. The second occurred in Hilo Sunday evening.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.