Flash Flooding Causes Road Closures
The National Weather Service has issued a Flash Flood Warning for Hawai‘i Island areas from North Kohala, Hāmākua, Hilo, Puna and Ka‘ū until 12:45 a.m.
A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring in streams, roads and low lying areas. Move to higher ground now in flood prone areas.
Due to the Flash Flood Warning, Hawai‘i County Police report the following roads closures in Hilo:
- Kamehameha Avenue
- Pauahi Street
- Kukila Street
- E. Kawailani Street from Awapuhi Street to Nohona Street
- Pohaku from 39th to 40th in Orchidland Estates.
Avoid these areas and use alternate routes.
Due to the Flash Flood Warning the following advisories are issued:
- Due to occasional heavy downpours, driving conditions are poor.
- Do not drive or walk across fast running water.
- Be on the alert for additional possible road closures without notice.
- Expect possible interruptions in your utility services.
- Be on the alert for malfunctioning traffic signals. Treat flashing traffic lights as a four-way stop.