Hikianalia Departs for California After Two-Week Delay
Hōkūleʻa’s sister canoe Hikianalia and her crew departed Sand Island early Saturday morning, Aug. 18, following a more than two-week delay due to foul weather and last-minute preparations. Weather conditions had threatened to postpone the journey further.
“The current winds are good for the canoe to set sail and go north towards San Francisco, however, we will continue to work with the National Weather Service to watch this approaching tropical storm closely,” said Nainoa Thompson, president of Polynesian Voyaging Society. “If the potential hurricane poses a risk to Hikianalia and the crew, we will postpone again. We are monitoring the structure of the path and the intensity of the storm. The crew is ready to go, and now it depends on nature.”
Hikianalia was originally scheduled to depart on Monday, July 30, but was delayed due to hazardous conditions created by Hurricane Hector and canoe preparations.
Hikianalia’s departure is the start of Alahula Kai o Maleka, an ocean and environmental awareness campaign destined for California. The Pacific Ocean crossing is expected to last about 30 days, arriving in San Francisco in mid-September. The welcome ceremony and celebration at Aquatic Park in San Francisco has been rescheduled to Sunday, Sept. 16, due to the departure delay.
After engagements in San Francisco, Hikianalia will sail south to San Diego and connect with communities along the way. The canoe is expected to return to Hawaiʻi in December 2018.
For the latest updates, visit Polynesian Voyaging Society’s website.