New Video of Kīlauea Eruption
New video of the Kīlauea Eruption was released by videographer Mick Kalber.
“This is a killer video! And may be one of the last ground level shots I’ll be able to get before I have to evacuate. Kilauea’s eruption in Leilani Estates is definitely NOT over. The second outbreak occurred early this morning at Makamae St and Leilani Ave… the third began on Kaupili St just after sunrise this morning. I was able to shoot some amazing video of the spattering on Kaupili Street… check it out!
After all the lava drained out of the Pu’u ‘O’o Vent (the main vent of the 35 year long current eruption) last Monday, the contents moved down the East rift zone, causing hundreds of earthquakes as far away as Kapoho, some 15 miles downslope. All week, a new eruption had been forecast… cracks appeared on roadways, as the earth began to swell. And then, on Thursday afternoon, Pele (the Volcano Goddess) made her appearance in the lower part of Leilani Estates Subdivision. At first, fountains of lava shot up into the air… but within a few hours, she had settled down into a lava flow that now threatens dozens of nearby homes, and a geothermal power plant just a quarter mile downslope. That flow has now stopped… but several more continue to pop out nearby. I live in the subdivision, and we are continually experiencing rolling earthquakes… it ain’t over till it’s over!”
The Hawai‘i County Civil Defense released the following update at 7 a.m. on Saturday May 5, 2018.:
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms the volcanic eruption continues in Leilani Subdivision in the Puna District.
Active volcanic vents are located on Makamae, Kaupili and Mohala Streets. A new vent has opened near the intersection of Leilani Avenue and Kahukai Road. There is no activity at Puna Geothermal Venture at this time. PGV is secured.
All residents of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivision are on evacuation notice. Police, Fire and County agencies along with the National Guard are assisting with evacuation.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- Department of Water Supply has issued an Emergency Water Restriction for Leilani Estates, Nānāwale Estates, Kapoho and Lanipuna Gardens. ALL Water Supply customers must immediately restrict water use to health and safety needs only.
- Hawai‘i Fire Department reports extremely dangerous conditions due to high levels of Sulfur Dioxide gas in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with compromised respiratory systems are especially vulnerable.
- The high levels detected are an immediate threat to life for all who become exposed. First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate.
- The area continues to be unstable with multiple volcanic eruptions happening. No one is allowed into the area. Do not attempt to return to your home at this time.
- All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions have been ordered to evacuate. The Pāhoa Community Center and the Kea‘au Community Center are open for shelter.
- Residents evacuating should bring an emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.