All Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Residents Must EVACUATE
The Hawai‘i County Civil Defense reports that Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms a volcanic eruption in Leilani Subdivision in the Puna District.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- Hawai‘i Fire Department reports extremely high levels of dangerous sulfur dioxide gas detected in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with respiratory issues need to comply with the mandatory evacuation order and leave the area.
- All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions are required to evacuate.
- The Pahoa Regional Community Center near the new Pahoa Regional Park is open for shelter.
- Keaau Community Center is open for additional shelter needs.
- Residents evacuating should ensure to bring your emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.
- An emergency proclamation is now in effect and available for download.
- Pohoiki Road is closed from the intersection at Highway 132 up to Lanipuna Subdivision to allow evacuation efforts to proceed.
- Hawaii Gas Company Customers with questions should call their 24/7 hotline at (808) 935-0021.
- Puna Geothermal Venture operations have shut down indefinitely until further notice.
- Avoid travel to the evacuation area for everyone’s safety.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, Hawai‘i County Civil Defense, police, fire, public works and partners continue to assist evacuation efforts and monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.