HPD Identifies Man Swept Into Ocean Trying to Elude Capture

Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

The Hawaiʻi Island Police Department has identified the fugitive who was swept into the ocean off the Puna coastline and presumably drowned following his attempt to elude capture by police officers yesterday, Monday, April 16, 2018.

The drowning victim is tentatively identified as 37-year-old Akoni H.N. Dias (corrected from the previous version), with a last known address in Hawaiian Paradise Park. Dias had been sought on four drug court warrants issued on Jan. 22, 2018, for violating the terms of his probations; total bail for warrants was $200,000.

Additionally, Dias was wanted for questioning as a suspect in a reported kidnapping, terroristic threatening and burglary case, reported on, Friday, March 19, which allegedly involved the use of a handgun.

Yesterday’s incident began with a “dropped 911” call that was traced to a residence off Government Beach Road at the bottom of the Hawaiian Beaches Subdivision. Officers responded to the scene and discovered a Nissan sedan parked on the property which was determined to have been stolen, reportedly taken from a Waikoloa Hotel on, Sunday, March 25.


Officers were able to identify and contact the Government Beach Road property owner who was off-island. He related that no one had permission to be on the lot.

Proceeding further up the driveway, officers observed a residence occupied by several individuals; officers surrounded the house and ordered the occupants out. While in the process of identifying the four individuals, Dias took off running down a trail towards the back of the property. Two officers immediately pursued Dias on foot and were able to catch up and grab his clothing; however, he was successful in breaking free from their grasp, heading toward the ocean.

A Taser was deployed twice in an attempt to immobilize Dias; however, it failed to achieve NMI, (neuromuscular incapacitation), and Dias pulled himself towards the edge and over the drop-off.


Officers observed and spoke to Dias as he was perched on a rock ledge 5 to 7 feet below them. He had refused to come back up before a large wave crashed the shoreline and swept him into the ocean.

A subsequent search of the Government Beach Road residence resulted in the recovery of a loaded handgun. Additional checks are being conducted on the firearm to determine ownership.

Three additional suspects are being held in custody pending further investigation by detectives from the Criminal Investigation Section. Charging decisions on the burglary and related offenses are pending.


Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to call the police department’s non-emergency line at (808) 935-3311 or Detective Jesse Kerr at (808) 961-2379 or [email protected].

Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments