Hapuna Beach Park to Undergo Year-Long Renovation
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area will undergo a year-long $4.2 million capital improvement construction project affecting the makai and mauka areas of the park’s Waialea section.
The park will remain open during each phase of the three-part project. Visitors can expect closure of specific areas including pathways, comfort stations, pavilions, shower and parking areas.
The first phase, which began on Monday, Oct. 30, requires the closure of the comfort station and pavilion. A portable toilet will be provided while the concession, beach and shower pathways are replaced. Security fencing will also be installed. Work in the first phase is expected to be completed by Jan. 7, 2018.
Improvements to the Hapuna Beach section of the park will include:
- Renovation and repair of the three comfort stations in the north, south and main parking areas;
- Renovation and repair of the two pavilions including new roofing supports, replacement of barbecue units, flooring and wall repairs;
- Replacement of the makai pathway with a 10-foot wide concrete pathway/emergency roadway;
- Replacement showers at the north and south sections, three new foot showers at the north, south and main parking areas, and one new rinsing shower in the center area of this section;
- Replacement pathways from the upper parking area, and replacement of the pathway behind the concession stand;
- Parking improvements in the upper parking area include removal of existing light fixtures and re-striping of this parking area to increase number of stalls; in the main parking area they will include adding more ADA stalls and installing bike racks;
- Related repairs and improvements as needed to comply with ADA accessibility, plumbing and building codes, etc.
- Repaving of the mauka entry road, adding an unpaved gravel shoulder/parking area near the cabins, and relocating the ADA parking stall adjacent to the dining hall.
Improvements at the Waialea section of Hapuna Beach Park will include:
- Renovation and repair of the comfort station;
- Replacement of the rinsing shower;
- Construction of a new stairway connection from the pathway by the comfort station to the picnic table area;
- Installing new bike racks near the comfort station.
Phase two of the project is scheduled from February to April, 2018, affecting the central and south sections of Hapuna beach including the remainder of the makai pathway, comfort station, pavilion, showers and ADA parking. Phase three is expected to occur from May to July, 2018, affecting the main parking lot, comfort station and upper parking lot at Hapuna beach. Improvements at the Waialea section are scheduled from August to September, 2018.
Conducted by contractor Site Engineering, Inc., the entire project is expected to be completed within one year.