8th Annual 5K Walk/Run for Literacy
Friends of the Library-Waikoloa Region (FL-WR) presents the 8th Annual 5K Walk/Run for Literacy on Sat., Nov. 11, 2017, at 7:30 a.m. at Waikoloa Elementary & Middle School.
A full morning of healthy fun, exercise, community interaction, painless learning and more, the event includes a health fair, silent auction and quilt drawing.
All proceeds support FL-WR’s work to promote literacy in schools and beyond and to build Waikoloa’s first public library.
The walk/run starts and ends at Waikoloa School.
Advance registration is $20 per person, and includes a T-shirt.
The day of the race, registration is $30; $10 keiki. Strollers are welcome at no additional charge.
To sign up, and for complete information and course map, visit www.flwr-runforliteracy.com.
The health fair offers onstage demos, exhibits and information from 14 different organizations.
On hand to answer questions about health and fitness are:
- Pet tips and veterinary information, Dr. Juan Guera, ‘Āina Hou Animal Hospital
- Healthy foods information and smoothies from the Smoothie Bike, Blue Zones Project
- Easy warmup demos by Island Heart Care
- CPR basics by Island CPR
- Yoga lessons and breathing exercises from Hawai‘i Yoga for Every Body
- Information from National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Exhibit of naturopathy and acupuncture, chemical free cleaning, Aloha Natural Health
- Aerial arts and safety for keiki and adults. Hawai‘i Aerial and Performing Arts
- Information on community health and wellness resources from Tutu’s House
- Flu shots and health info, KTA Waikoloa Village Pharmacy
- Free blood sugar, blood pressure and other screenings, West Hawai‘i Community Health Center
- Zumba Fitness with Aunty Maile and Kehaulani
- Free massages, Mokupuni Massage
- Information from Tutu and Me Traveling Preschool and Home Visiting Program.
Bidding opens for the Silent Auction at 8 a.m., with 100 items up for sale in a wide variety of price ranges for every budget, plus “buy it now” opportunities and drawings.
Highlights include adventures by Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, Body Glove Cruises, Ocean Sports Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Forest & Trail, in addition to salon services, restaurant experiences, golf and many more.
A favorite every year is the hand-made quilt donated by the Waikoloa Sew ‘N’ Sews, who for 2017 created a beautiful Asia-inspired quilt with the look of hand-dyed batiks in shades of blue and indigo. Participants may make a donation to FL-WR for a chance to win this one-of-a-kind fabric artwork.
Schedule of Events:
6:15 a.m.: Walk/run registration
7:30 a.m.: Race starts.
8 a.m.: Silent auction opens.
8:30 a.m.: Health fair
11 a.m.: Silent auction closes. Pay and pick up items, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
For more information, visit www.flwr-runforliteracy.com.