UPDATE: Hawai‘i Island Ka‘ū District Fire Contained
As of Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017, at 9 a.m., the Hawai‘i Fire Department reports the brush fire located in the area of Waikapuna (previously described as Ka‘alu‘alu) near South Point is now contained.
The fire scorched 1,600 acres between Waikapuna Bay and Na‘alehu town in the Ka‘ū District.
No structures or communities are threatened at this time.
Due to this fire, the following advisories are issued:
- There are no roadway closures at this time. Area motorists should be on the lookout for emergency vehicles.
- Smoke from the fire may affect visibility for driving and air quality for Waiohinu area including Green
- Sands, Mark Twain Estates, and Discovery Harbor.
- The public is requested to stay out of the active fire area.
- Closures may occur without notice.