Featured Articles

Good Samaritans Douse Blaze at Blanes

September 17, 2017, 9:36 AM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Hawai‘i Island firefighters responded to a report of smoke emanating from Blanes Drive Inn in Hilo on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017, 3:34 a.m.

The fast-food restaurant is located at 150 Wiwo‘ole St.

Upon arrival at scene, firefighters found smoke inside the buiding. The fire had already been extinguished by good Samaritans who reported the incident. 

They had kicked in the door and extinguished the fire with extinguisher found inside the building.

A 12-by-6-foot area outside of take-out counter was destroyed in the fire.

Firefighters ventilated and investigated entire building and remained on scene until turning it over to Hawai‘i Police Department and Hawai‘i Fire Department inspectors. 

Damage is estimated at $14,400. The value of the saved structure is estimated at $625,000.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Cancel
Mahalo for Subscribing
×

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments