UPDATE: Big Island Fair Returns to Kona in September
UPDATE: Sept. 6, 2017
The Hawai‘i County Department of Parks and Recreation will temporarily change the access route into Kailua Park, also known as Old Kona Airport Park, Wednesday to Tuesday, Sept. 6 to 12, 2017, to accommodate the E.K. Fernandez Big Island Fair 2017.
During this period, vehicular traffic entering Kailua Park will be diverted to the beach access road located at the north end of Kuakini Highway.
The Department of Parks and Recreation reminds all motorists not to exceed the road’s five-mile-per-hour speed limit, which will be in effect until normal traffic patterns are reinstated in the morning of Sept. 12.
Signs will be posted to inform motorists of the routing change and affected dates.
The Department of Parks and Recreation thanks the public for its understanding while it implements the temporary routing change aimed at protecting park users, fair attendees and fair operators, who will be setting up and disassembling carnival rides.
For more information, call the Department of Parks and Recreation at 961-8311.
ORIGINAL POST: Sept. 2, 2017
The Big Island Fair presented by E.K. Fernandez Shows will return to Hawai‘i Island on Sept. 7, 8, 9 and 10 at the Old Kona Airport. The annual event will feature rides, games, a variety food vendors and free entertainment, as well as a new ride called the Seven Seas.
Local food vendors at this year’s event will include Lava Bowls serving kalua pork and cabbage bowls, pork and peas bowls, beef tacos and fish; and Broke Da Mouth Grindz serving garlic furikake chicken, shoyu chicken, pork adobo and spam musubi rolls. Crazy Country Corn will come over from O‘ahu to serve roasted corn, stuffed baked potatoes and giant turkey legs, in addition to the fair’s traditional hamburgers, hot dogs, pizzas and confectionary wagons.
E.K. Fernandez now offers a Fun Pass card system in place of admission tickets, ride coupons and food scrip. Customers can load the card with credits and scan it for admission, rides, games, food and novelty items. Each credit on the card is worth 10 cents. Fun Passes are available for both individuals and for sharing with family and friends. Credits remaining on cards purchased at E.K. Fernandez events and shows will be redeemable at the Big Island Fair.
The Big Island Fair hours will be as follows:
- Thursday, Sept. 7: 6 p.m. to midnight
- Friday, Sept. 8: 6 p.m. to midnight
- Saturday, Sept. 9: noon to midnight
- Sunday, Sept. 10: noon to 10 p.m.
Fair admission prices will be as follows:
- Thursday, Sept. 7: 10 credits (equivalent to $1)
- Friday, Sept. 8: 50 credits
- Saturday, Sept. 9, noon to 6 p.m.: 30 credits
Saturday, Sept. 9, 6 p.m. to midnight: 50 credits
- Sunday, Sept. 10: 50 credits
Children shorter than 40 inches will be admitted free on all fair days.
The following lineup of entertainment will be presented free with admission:
- Anastasini Circus – Ringmaster Giovanni Anastasini is an eighth generation member of the famous Anastasini circus family of Italy. He has been the ringmaster of the circus shows at the 50th State Fair for many years and at the Big Island Fair in 2013, 2014 and 2015. This year’s new action-packed show will feature an international cast of performers entertaining the audience with feats of strength, beauty and comedy.
- Circus Showtimes:
- Thursday, Sept. 7: 9 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 8: 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 9: 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 10: 4 and 8 p.m.
- Live Music:
- Friday, Sept. 8, at 7:30 p.m.: One Rhythm
- Saturday, Sept. 9, at 8 p.m.: The Steppas
- KBIG-FMs Future Big Star Competitions – Saturday from 4 to 5:30 p.m.: Radio station KBIG-FM will conduct competitions to find contestants to represent the island of Hawai‘i during the 2018 Brown Bags to Stardom state competition on O‘ahu. The winners in the High School division and in the Elementary/Intermediate School division will each receive a cash prize and a trophy. There will also be prizes for the second and third place winners.
Ride Discount Days:
- Saturday, Sept. 9: All rides 30 credits each from noon to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 10: All rides 35 credits each from noon to 10 p.m. (Wave Swinger and Zipper will be 60 credits each)
For more information about the Big Island Fair, visit www.ekfernandez.com.