Gov. Ige Seeks Public Input on Big Island Judge Nominees
Gov. David Ige has received a list of nominees from the Judicial Selection Commission for the vacancies created by the retirement of former Circuit Court of the Third Circuit Judges Glenn S. Hara and Ronald Ibarra of the Island of Hawaiʻi.
The commission submitted the list of nominees to the governor on July 31, 2017, after careful evaluation and investigation into the background and qualifications of each applicant.
The nominees to fill the vacancy left by the retirement of the Honorable Glenn S. Hara are:
- Harry P.N.S. Freitas – District Court Judge, District Court of the Third Circuit (Hawaiʻi)
- Jeffrey A. Hawk – Attorney
- Henry T. Nakamoto – District Family Court Judge, Third Circuit
- Jeffrey W.S. Ng – Deputy Public Defender, State of Hawaiʻi Office of the Public Defender
The nominees to fill the vacancy left by the retirement of the Honorable Ronald Ibarra are:
- Gregory A. Ferren – Attorney, Law Office of Gregory A. Ferren
- Robert D.S. Kim – Attorney/President, Robert D.S. Kim, Inc.
- Michael H. Schlueter – Attorney/Partner, Schlueter & Kwiat, LLLP
- Kimberly B.M. Taniyama – Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, County of Hawaiʻi
Gov. Ige will interview each nominee and is seeking public comment through the governor’s website.
Gov. Ige has 30 days (until Aug. 30) to make his appointments.