Water Conservation Notice for Hāmākua and South Kohala Districts
Due to ongoing repairs to several wells in the Waimea area, the Department of Water supply announced a water conservation notice today for the following areas:
Waimea Town to Kawaihae
Old Ahualoa Road
Kukuihaele in the South Kohala and Hāmākua areas
The DWS is requesting consumers in the affected areas to reduce their daily water usage by 10%.
The following are tips from the DWS on conserving water to reach the 10% goal:
– Wash full loads of laundry only
– Wash full loads of dishes only
– Serve drinking water only when requested
– Do not let the faucet run unnecessarily
– When bathing, use water only to wet and rinse off
– Do not fill the bathtub
– Use a glass when brushing your teeth
– Do not flush toilets unnecessarily
– Stop lawn sprinkling
– Stop car and boat washing
– Use drinking water wisely
The DWS also says all agricultural users should keep water usage to a minimum and to irrigate only at night from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. The DWS says this measure will reduce water loss due to evaporation, and minimize water system usage during peak demand.
For more information contact William O’Neil at 808-887-3030 during normal business hours of 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.