Top Three Finish for Kaawa-Nolan at OluKai OC1 Race
Big Island paddler Keakua Kaawa-Nolan finished in third place in Sunday’s OluKai Ho’olaule’a OC1 Elite Men race, held on the North shore of Maui.
Kaawa-Nolan turned in a time of 49:11. Australia’s Travis Grant finished first with a time of 48:06, his first win in the competition. Oahu’s Jimmy Austin finished second at 48:53.
Maui’s Lauren Spalding continued her domination of the OC1 Elite Women race, winning for the third time in three tries. She finished with a time of 53:25, almost three minutes ahead of Amy Woodward, who finished in 56:13. Completing the Maui trifecta at the top was Dane Ward with a time of 58:56.
Over 500 paddlers participated in multiple events over the weekend, including Saturday’s stand-up paddleboard competition, with Elite Men and Elite Women divisions.
2016 OluKai Ho’olaule’a OC1 Race Results
- Travis Grant (Australia) – 48:06
- Jimmy Austin (Oahu) – 48:53
- Keakua Kaawa-Nolan (Big Island) – 49:11
- Rete Ebb (Tahiti) – 49:21
- Manny Kulukulualani (Oahu) – 49:24
- Matt Nottage (Australia) – 49:31
- Lauren Spalding (Maui) – 53:25
- Amy Woodward (Maui) – 56:13
- Dane Ward (Maui) – 58:56
- Fiona Van Ammers (Maui) – 59:08
- Angie Dolan (Oahu) – 1:01:00
- Shannon Cuadro (Maui) – 1:04:07