Analysis: Hilo International Airport Ranked Among Top Small Airports
A recent study conducted by mobile insights platform AirportXP, a product belonging to Phoenix Marketing International, ranked Hilo International Airport among the top small airports in the country.
The ranking is based on reports submitted by 170,000 travelers between November 2015 and February 2016 and their satisfaction levels, which were based on a seven-point scale with seven being “very satisfied,” and overall percentages calculated, based on overall satisfaction as a six or seven.
Airports were divided by size based on their classification by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Hilo International Airport had a rating of 91 percent, tied with Gerald R. Ford International in Grand Rapids, Mich., which ranked second. Bellingham International ranked first with 93 percent. Wichita’s Dwight D Eisenhower National Airport (89 percent) and Spokane International (88 percent) rounded out the top five.
“Many smaller airports outperform their larger counterparts on passenger satisfaction measures related to pre-security items (e.g., parking, checking-in) due to their ease,” said Scott Ludwigsen, Executive Vice President of Phoenix Marketing International’s Travel Research Group. “While many passengers prefer the post-security amenities (e.g., food and beverage, retail, lounges) larger airports offer for the variety.”
Tampa International took the top rank for large airports, while Eppley Airfield was ranked number one for medium airports.
AirportXP allows travelers to share their experiences at 250 of the country’s busiest airports.
1. Bellingham International – 93% (Bellingham, WA)
2. Gerald R Ford International – 91% (Grand Rapids, MI)
3. Hilo International – 91% (Hilo, HI)
4. Wichita Dwight D Eisenhower National Airport – 89% (Wichita, KS)
5. Spokane International – 88% (Spokane, WA)
1. Eppley Airfield – 90% (Omaha, NE)
2. Theodore Francis Green State – 89% (Warwick, RI)
3. Palm Beach International – 83% (West Palm Beach, FL)
4. General Mitchell International – 83% (Milwaukee, WI)
5. Raleigh-Durham International – 82% (Raleigh-Durham, NC)
1. Tampa International – 82% (Tampa, FL)
2. Salt Lake City International – 81% (Salt Lake City, UT)
3. Charlotte/Douglas International – 79% (Charlotte, NC)
4. Chicago Midway International – 78% (Chicago, IL)
5. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International – 76% (Atlanta, GA)