Hawai’i State Legislature Kicks off Education Week
Students, teachers, and education administrators will be recognized during Education Week at the Hawai’i State Legislature.
Beginning on Thursday, March 17, a number of ceremonies will be held in the Senate and House chambers.
“Education is the soul of society and taking a moment to recognize the extraordinary work being done in our schools is important,” said Senator Michelle Kidani, Senate Education committee chair. “These individuals and programs are creating a brighter future for our keiki.”
Kea’au High School Principal Dean Cevallos, the recipient of the 2015 Masayuki Tokioka Award, will be recognized on Thursday. Darryl Yagi from E.B. de Silva Elementary School will be recognized on Friday. Yagi has earned the 2016 Teacher of the Year – Hawai’i District award.
Wrapping up on Monday, Phillip Palamore of Kea’au High School will be among those honored as a 2016 Prudential Spirit of Community Student Awards as the Hawai’i State Distinguished Finalist.
“So often we hear about the problems of our education system, but this annual week aims to showcase what is working and making a difference in the lives of our children,” said Representative Roy Takumi, who is a member of the House Education committee chair.
Senate sessions convene at 11:30 a.m., with guests moving to the House chamber at 12 p.m.
See below for a full list of honorees:
Thursday, March 17
- Winston Sakurai, Upper School Principal, Hanalani Schools (National Association of Secondary School Principals Hawai’i Principal of the Year)
- Dean Cevallos, Principal, Kea`au High School (2016 Masayuki Tokioka Award to recognize Excellence in School Leadership recipient)
- Malaea Wetzel, Principal, Haleiwa Elementary School (2015 Class of Distinguished Principals)
- Hawai’i’s 2015 Blue Ribbon Schools:
- Hahaione Elementary School (Principal Shannon Goo)
- Palisades Elementary School (Principal Gavin Tsue)
- Kaelepulu Elementary School (Principal Jamie Dela Cruz)
- `Iolani School Team, First Place Winners of the LifeSmarts consumer education competition
Friday, March 18
- Department of Education 2016 Teachers of the Year
- Stephanie Mew, Kapunahala Elementary School – Teacher of the Year
- Alicia Chang, King Liholiho Elementary School – Honolulu District
- David Paul Braun, Jr., Waimea Canyon Middle School – Kauai District
- Joy Aulani Takatsuka, King Kamehameha III Elementary School – Maui District
- Darryl Yagi, E.B. de Silva Elementary School – Hawai’i District
- Lynn Yoshida, Mililani Middle School – Central District
- Kathy Lin, Highlands Intermediate School – Leeward District
Monday, March 21
- Wrayna Fairchild, Manoa Elementary School (2015 Voya Unsung Hero)
- Jan Kamiya, McCully-Moili`ili Public Library (Friends of the Library of Hawai’i Public Librarian of the Year)
- Anna McCormick, Wahiawa Public Library (Friends of the Library of Hawai’i Librarian Excellence in Service)
- 2016 Prudential Spirit of Community Student Awards
- Orren Smith, Hanalani Schools (Hawai’i State Honoree)
- Anna Kimata, Punahou School (Hawai’i State Honoree)
- Britnee Akau, Kauai High School (Hawai’i State Distinguished Finalist)
- Phillip Palmore, Kea`au High School (Hawai’i State Distinguished Finalist)
- 2015-16 Hawaii Milken Educator (Michael Sana, Waipahu High School)
Wednesday, March 23
- Teach for America