Portion of Komohana Limited to One Lane Beginning Monday
Komohana Street reconstruction work will cause the closure of one lane of traffic between the Kukuau Street intersection and the Ponahawai Street intersection for traffic headed towards Waianuenue Avenue on a 24-hour basis, beginning Tuesday, Jan. 19.
Closure of the lane is necessary to accommodate pavement reconstruction work in the area.
Work is expected to be completed by the project contractor, Yamada and Sons, Inc., in an expedited time frame. The work will complete the initial phase of the work and is expected to be completed by Friday, Feb. 19, pending weather and construction conditions.
The Hawai’i Police Department notes that the traffic change is allowed under Hawia’i County Code (Section 24-10).
Phase B of the project will include opening the southbound lane from Huali Place.
During the traffic change, the following will be in effect:
- Heading Puna bound on Komohana Street from Waiānuenue Avenue, only a left turn will be allowed at the Ponahawai intersection.
- Entering Komohana Street from Ponahawai Street, there will be no left turn onto Komohana Street.
- Entering Komohana Street from Huali Place, there will be no left turn onto Komohana Street.
As work progresses, the opening of the southbound lane from Huali Place will be implemented.
The following lanes will remain open:
- Kūkūau intersection will be open to travel in all directions.
- On Komohana Street, Hāmākua bound, the right turn onto Huali Place will be allowed .
- On Komohana Street, Hāmākua bound, the right turn and straight through lane at the Ponahawai intersection will stay open.
Motorists using the roadway during the stated time period should expect delays and should drive with caution.