Kaumana Fire Causes $250K in Damage
A Citronella candle left unattended in a bedroom of a Kaumana home is believed to be the cause of late night house fire Thursday.
The Hawai’i County Fire Department responded to a home located on Ainako Ave. just after 9 p.m.
Upon arrival, HFD officials found flames coming from a bedroom on the northeast corner of the home through back bedroom windows.
Eleven firefighters from two companies were able to contain the fire, which had spread throughout the rear bedroom area of the three bedroom, two bathroom home.
Captain David Minor of the Kaumana Fire Station said the home’s residents, a 32-year-old woman and two children, ages seven and nine, were able to exit the home safely and were at a neighbor’s house when firefighters arrived.
During the fire, traffic was detoured through Kaumana Drive to Waianuenue Avenue.
HFD officials say the home suffered $250,000 in structural damage and that the fire remains under investigation.