County Celebrates the Season with Hilo, Kona Events
It’s the most magical time of the year. The chorus of popular Christmas tunes are ringing through the ears of various departments within the County of Hawai’i as they gear up for the 5th Annual “Magic of the Season,” to be held at the Hawai’i County Building in Hilo. On the other side of the island, “A Holiday Family Affair” will be showcased at the West Hawai’i Civic Center in Kona.
“Magic of the Season” will be hosted on weeknights between Dec. 7 and Dec. 18 from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. nightly. Community members can gather for free entertainment, activities, and refreshments.
Dozens of trees have been decorated and lit up at the county building. The trees can be viewed beginning at 7:45 a.m. each morning and during the even festivities.
Each night, special performances from local favorites will dazzle the stage, including:
- Monday, Dec. 7: Christie Lassiter & Friends and Kuana Torres Kahele
- Tuesday, Dec. 8: Kalapana ‘Awa Band, Patio Productions, and Larry Dupio Band
- Wednesday, Dec. 9: Halau Hula O Kou Lima Nani E and Lehua Kalima with Shawn Pimental
- Thursday, Dec. 10: Vaughn Valentino, Darlene Ahuna, and Hawai’i County Band
- Friday, Dec. 11: Cyril Pahinui & Connections Kids, Kris Fuchigami, and Braddah Waltah Aipolani & Friends
- Monday, Dec. 14: Michael Strand Band and John Cruz
- Tuesday, Dec. 15: Times Five and Brother Noland
- Wednesday, Dec. 16: Special MC Augie T, Body and Soul, and Henry Kapono
- Thursday, Dec. 17: Haynie & Samuel, Keoki Kahumoku, and Ol’ School
- Friday. Dec. 18: Ben Kaili and Friends, Mark Yamanaka, and Vision 20/20
“A Holiday Family Affair” will be hosted on Friday, Dec. 11 from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Darlene Ahuna will perform at the event, and various activities including a bouncing castle, climbing wall, face painting, make-and-take crafts, keiki ID cards, and photos with Santa.
Each event will collect donations of non-perishable food items for the Hawai’i Island Food Basket.
To learn more about either event, contact the Office of Mayor Billy Kenoi in Hilo at 961-8211 or in Kona at 323-4444.