RECIPE: Asian Style Tomato Salad
Use fresh picked tomatoes that have ripened on the vine for best results in this easy, but elegant, salad. You can also substitute Thai basil for cilantro for a different, but equally delicious, option.
3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (or dark sesame oil)
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 pinch white pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
Toasted sesame seeds
- Thinly slice the tomatoes.
- Mix together the sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and pinch of white pepper together. Set aside.
- Arrange tomato slices on a plate and spoon the dressing over the top.
- Sprinkle the cilantro, green onions, and toasted sesame seeds over the top.
- Serve at room temperature for optimum flavor.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.