HEMA, Local Agencies Encourage Preparedness
As Tropical Storm Guillermo approaches the Hawaiian Islands, the Hawai’i Emergency Management Agency, along with a number of partnering agencies, have issued the following tips in preparation for potential impacts:
- Continue emergency preparedness activities. To learn more about how to prepare, review the HEMA preparedness brochure.
- Follow the Department of Education online for the latest information on possible school closures. For students attending private or charter schools, be sure to familiarize with closure notification procedures.
- Check with airlines prior to any planned flights in the coming week, as high winds could potentially affect travel.
- Any hiking or camping activities should be checked first with local officials and the Department of Land and Natural Resources. Closures to parks and trails are a possibility, depending on the weather forecast. To review closure information, visit the DLNR’s website.
- The Hawai’i Boater’s Hurricane and Tsunami Safety Manual can be reviewed for recommended precautions to protect boats prior to a storm.
Recent forecasts show that Tropical Storm Guillermo could impact the Big Island as early as Wednesday.
For all of the latest on Tropical Storm Gullermo, review Big Island Now’s full update.
Stay with us as we continue to bring you all the latest storm coverage.