East Hawaii News

Faulty Vent Fan, Wiring Causes Home Fire in Kea’au

July 13, 2015, 9:32 AM HST
* Updated July 13, 9:35 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Hawai’i County Fire Department crews responded to a house fire on Sunday just before noon in Kea’au.

The single story 1,056 square-foot home on Paahana Street was found with smoke coming from the ridge cap and attic vent. Upon arrival, HFD firefighters deployed a pre-connect and accessed the fire area through a south side vent using a ladder and pike pole to quickly knock down and contain the fire. The fire was under control within minutes and mop-up operations were conducted.

Authorities have determined the cause of the fire to be a faulty vent fan and wiring.

According to HFD, the two elderly occupants of the home were able to get out of the home on their own and were not in need of medical attention.

A total of 10 firefighters assisted in the incident. The total loss is estimated to be about $5,000, with an estimated value of $199,800 saved.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.