East Hawaii News

Ten ‘Mauna Kea 31’ Protesters Will Have Charges Dropped

May 29, 2015, 9:14 AM HST
* Updated May 29, 9:44 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Ten of the “Mauna Kea 31″ arrested in early April for protesting atop the slopes of Mauna Kea against the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope will have their charges dropped.

The Associated Press reported Friday morning that Hawai’i County Prosecuting Attorney Mitch Roth said the cases against those who were charged with trespassing will be dropped, although they may be re-filed later.

Roth was unavailable for comment Friday morning when Big Island Now inquired.

Reports say Roth will keep the charges against the remaining 21 who were arrested for obstruction of government operations.

On April 2, the Hawai’i Police Department arrested 12 individuals between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. The Department of Land and Natural Resources made an additional 19 arrests in what DLNR officials said was necessary “to preserve and protect public safety and public access on Mauna Kea.”

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Since the April incident, construction has been halted at the TMT site. Governor David Ige stated earlier this week, however, that construction can legally continue.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.