2015 Merrie Monarch: Miss Aloha Hula Results
The first night of the 52nd Annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival got underway Thursday evening at Edith Kanaka’ole Multipurpose Stadium, as 11 dancers competed for the crown of 2015 Miss Aloha Hula.
Jasmine Kaleihiwa Dunlap of Hula Halau ‘O Kamuela won the honor with her performance of He Kau No Hi‘iakaikapoliopele. She dances under the direction of kumu Kau‘ionalani Kamana‘o and Kunewa Mook.
The following lists the top five 2015 Miss Aloha Hula dancers:
- Jasmine Kaleihiwa Dunlap, Hula Halau ‘O Kamuela, 1,113 points
- Abby Claire Hali’ahauola Resulta, Halau Hi’iakainamakalehua, 1,085 points
- Noelani Dudoit, Ka La ‘Onohi Mai O Ha’eha’e, 1,080 points
- Jayna Marie Kau’iokalanimalie Shaffer, Halau Ka Lei Mokihana O Leina’ala, 1,074 points
- ‘Anela U’ilani Ruth Fusano Tanigawa, Halau Na Lei Kaumaka O Uka, 1,065 points
The points were announced during the award ceremony at the end of the evening. No Big Island dancers competed for the crown.
Group Hula Kahiko will continue Friday evening at 6 p.m as halau hula perform ancient-style dances.
On Saturday at 6 p.m., Group Hila ‘Auana will be featured as halau hula perform modern style dances. An award presentation will follow for all group winners.
Also on Saturday, the 52nd Annual Merrie Monarch Royal Parade will take place in Downtown Hilo. The parade begins and ends at Pauahi Street and travels through Downtown Hilo on Kilauea Avenue, Keawe Street, Waianuenue Avenue, and Kamehameha Avenue.