RECIPE: Greek Style Hand Salad
This easy delicious salad is great for a party. Butter lettuce works particularly well for holding the salad, but any lettuce leaf can work. Add seafood, meat, or beans to make it more substantial fare.
4 lettuce leaves
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup tomato, chopped, or halved grape tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of sliced olives
2 Tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese
1 Tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried herbs)
1 Clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
6 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves. Put on individual salad plates.
- Arrange sliced cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, olives, and feta on top of the leaves.
- Combine herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, olive oil, ground pepper and sea salt together for dressing and whisk to incorporate.
- Adjust dressing seasonings to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over salads. (You will have some dressing left over)
- Fold the leaves up and eat the salad like a taco.
Quick and Easy option: Use a prepared salad dressing of your choice.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.