East Hawaii News
Iselle Closures, Canceled Events on Big Island
Last updated: 1:11 p.m. 8/7/2014
- HMSA Center @ Hilo, located in the Waiakea Center, and the Kailua-Kona office on Henry Street are closed until further notice.
- The Democratic Party Grand Rally, scheduled for Friday Aug. 8 in Hilo, is likely to be canceled according to Governor Abercombie’s campaign staff.
- All hunting at Pohakuloa Training this weekend is canceled.
- The following closures and cancellations have been announced:
- All public schools are closed on Thursday.
- St. Joseph School will be closed Thursday AND Friday.
- West Hawaii Explorations Academy (WHEA) closed Thursday.
- Waimea Elementary school all classes closed on Thursday.
- Kua o kala closed Thursday.
- Chiefess Kapiolani open Wednesday but closed Thursday, will determine Friday later.
- Depending on severity of the weather: Schools closed FRIDAY, will be used as evacuation shelters: Laupahoehoe – Kohala High and El – Keaau High – Pahoa High and Inter – Kealakehe High – Konawaena High – Hilo High – Waiakea High – Honokaa High and Inter – Ka’u High, Waikoloa El.
- Hawaii cooking event that was scheduled for August 9th has been cancelled.
- Boy scouts Troop 19 Training camping had been canceled for this weekend and will be rescheduled.
- County of Hawaii Elderly Recreation classes and Senior club meetings are canceled Thursday and Friday.
- Makuu Farmers Association quarterly meeting Thursday & Makuu Farmers Market Sunday.
- Kta SuperStores Customer Appreciation Celebration is canceled.
- Waimea Community Association Town Meeting Thursday, Aug. 7, POSTPONED.
- By 6 pm Wednesday, Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) will close all of its managed lands, including forest reserves, wildlife sanctuaries, natural area reserves, Na Ala Hele hiking trails, game management areas, including Keanakolu cabins, Ainapo hiking trail, Muliwai trail and Waimanu valley campground until further notice.
- Lanihau Shopping Center regular events THURSDAY night has been canceled.
- Keauhou Shopping Center Kupuna Activities THURSDAY cancelled and FRIDAY hula show.
- Kings Shopsʻ Kealoha Summer Concert Series-Kris Fuchigami this FRIDAY-postponed.
- Pop warner football practice for Pana’ewa Ali’is is cancelled. Friday football practice to be announced.
- Warrior Aquatic Club swimming cancelled in Keaau. They’ll start back up on Monday.
- FOOTBALL: Keaau vs. Lahainaluna, scheduled for Friday night in Maui, has been cancelled. Kaimuki vs. Honoka`a, also scheduled for Friday in Honoka`a, has been cancelled. All Saturday games are still on, but decisions could be made by this afternoon or tomorrow.
- FC Alliance soccer club, Hilo. No practice Thursday and Friday.
1National Weather Service Reports No Tsunami Warning Following Kona Earthquake 2No Significant Changes to Big Island Volcanic Activity Following Kona Quake 3Hilo Man Charged With Firearm Offenses 4Police Investigate Early Morning Murder in Nānāwale 5Hope Services Provides Emergency Shelter to 20 Homeless People Following Sweep at Old Kona Airport Park 6Police Ask For Public’s Help With Finding Runaway