East Hawaii News

Stabbing Suspect Indicted, Re-Arrested on Higher Bail

May 22, 2014, 5:34 PM HST
* Updated May 22, 7:36 PM
A
A
A

Paul Michael Gibson, the Ka`u man accused of attempted murder in a stabbing incident earlier this month at a Hilo beach park, was back in custody today after his bail was increased.

Gibson, 46, was released from Hawaii Community Correctional Center on May 15 after posting a $374,000 bond.

That was one day after the beginning of his preliminary hearing, a court proceeding during which a judge determines whether there is probable cause to move the case to trial.

That preliminary hearing had been scheduled to continue today.

However, on Wednesday a grand jury indicted Gibson in connection with the May 10 incident near James Kealoha Beach Park, also known as 4-Mile Beach.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Police re-arrested Gibson this morning at Hilo District court on the 10-count indictment, which made continuation of the preliminary hearing unnecessary.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

During the indictment proceedings, Circuit Court Judge Greg Nakamura granted a request from Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Kimberly Angay to increase Gibson’s bail to $700,000.

Angay told Nakamura the higher bail was warranted because Gibson was financially able to make the initial bail amount of $374,000 within two days of his arraignment, and because seven of the crimes he had been indicted for were felonies with the possibility of extended sentencing.

According to the indictment, Gibson may be subject to the enhanced sentencing if he is convicted of two or more of the felonies, “and an extended term of imprisonment is necessary for the protection of the public.”

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

During his arraignment on May 13, Gibson’s attorney, Michael Zola, told District Court Judge Diana Van De Car that his client was a man of means who owned several homes and had a thriving plumbing contracting business.

Gibson is accused of stabbing David Coombes, 41, of Keaukaha seven times and threatening both Coombes and Coombes’ 50-year-old wife, Alicia, with a handgun.

Alicia Coombes, the only witness to be called in the May 14 preliminary hearing that was to be continued today, testified that Gibson provoked the attack on her husband.

Gibson’s attorney had previously said that Gibson was acting in self-defense.

In addition to the second-degree attempted murder and two terroristic threatening charges, Gibson was also indicted for assault, five firearms offenses and resisting an order to stop.

Two of the firearm offenses involved being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and a third involved carrying a loaded firearm on a public roadway.

Gibson was scheduled to be arraigned on the higher bail on Friday.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.