East Hawaii News

Nanawale Estates Home Destroyed by Fire

February 6, 2014, 1:25 PM HST
* Updated February 6, 1:27 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...

A home in Nanawale Estates was destroyed by a fire of unknown origin Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters arriving at the home at 2:18 p.m. found the home engulfed in flames.

It took firefighters nearly two hours to extinguish the blaze at 14-3334 Mauna Kea Rd.

The home in the subdivision southeast of Pahoa was valued at $90,000.

County firefighters on Wednesday also fought a fire at a home in a subdivision near Volcano village.

The structure on Pa Alii Street in Royal Hawaiian Estates had smoke coming out from under the eaves when firefighters arrived at 10:53 a.m.

Neighbors said the 1,600-square-foot structure was used as a utility and storage building.

The residents were not home, but a neighbor provided firefighters with a key to gain access to the structure. The fire was extinguished within seven minutes.

According to a fire inspector on the scene, the fire likely was caused by a portable stove being used to heat the building.

Damage was estimated at $5,000.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments