East Hawaii News

Seal Confessed to Officers at Scene of Stabbing

November 8, 2013, 7:25 PM HST
* Updated November 9, 2:25 AM
Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio...

The man accused of Tuesday’s fatal stabbing of an Eden Roc man confessed when police arrived at the scene, court documents said.

An arrest affidavit filed by police said officers found David True Seal standing in the driveway of a Pilo Street home with blood stains on his clothing. It said Seal told officers, “I killed my brother. He’s inside.”

Seal, 34, made a brief appearance today in Hilo District Court, where Judge Harry Freitas ordered him held over for a preliminary hearing set for 2 p.m. on Nov. 12.

Seal is being held without bail after being charged Thursday with second-degree murder in the death of 32-year-old Rory Thompson Wick.

This modified Google Maps image shows the location of Tuesday's stabbing.

This modified Google Maps image shows the location of Tuesday’s stabbing (click to enlarge).

Seal, who police said has been using the alias Serif Swaim, escaped nearly four years from the Hawaii State Hospital on Oahu. He had been committed to the facility in 2002 after being acquitted by reason of insanity of kidnapping and attempted sexual assault involving an 8-year-old girl on Maui.

Officers arrived at the home at 3:20 p.m. after receiving a report from John Muscat who said that his friend Rory had been stabbed with a kitchen knife by a man named Serif.

After he was arrested at 4:06 p.m., Seal told officers where to find Wick’s body, which was lying face-up in a ditch 25 to 30 yards behind the home, the affidavit said.

Wick had multiple stab wounds to his chest and abdomen. He was taken to Hilo Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 11:11 p.m.

An autopsy conducted today determined that Wick bled to death from multiple stab wounds to his heart and left lung.

The document said a search of crime databases using Seal’s fingerprints indicated his identity, and that he had unspecified felony convictions.

After being read his constitutional rights, Seal declined to make a statement, the affidavit said.

Police said after his arrest Seal was taken to the Hilo police cellblock and then transferred to Hilo Medical Center for treatment of unspecified injuries. Police later said Seal sustained the injuries prior to his arrest.

The affidavit said when Seal was arrested he had lacerations to fingers on both hands, which were bandaged when he appeared in court.

***Updated at 8:42 p.m.***

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments