HazMat Team Called to Kona Courthouse
The fire department dispatched a hazardous materials team to a Kona courthouse this morning after receiving reports of a possible toxic substance there.
When the team arrived at the Keakealani Courthouse in Kealakekua at 9:11 a.m., it was told by deputy sheriffs that occupants of the building were complaining of coughing and eye and throat irritation.
According to a statement from Capt. Winstin Takamoto of the Captain Cook station, the Haukapila Street building was evacuated and testing was done but the team was unable to identify any toxic substances.
Staff and visitors were allowed to re-enter after fans were used to ventilate the structure.
No one required medical assistance, Takamoto said.