East Hawaii News

Fire Caused by Candle Destroys Puna Home

February 13, 2013, 9:41 AM HST
* Updated February 13, 9:42 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

A house in the Black Sands Beach subdivision off the Pahoa-Kalapana Road (Highway 130) was destroyed early today by a fire caused by an unattended candle.

According to a statement from the Pahoa fire station, firefighters responding to a 3:22 a.m. call found the home fully engulfed in flames with the roof collapsed.

One of the home’s four occupants, a 31-year-old woman, sustained second-degree burns to her hands while trying to leave the building and was transported to Hilo Medical Center in stable condition. The other three, the woman who owns the home, a man and a toddler, exited safely.

The building at 12-4321 Kona Street, described as a 140-square-foot metal shed with a wooden subfloor, was completely destroyed by the fire. It was valued at $20,000.

It took nine firefighters about a half-hour to extinguish the blaze.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Cancel
Mahalo for Subscribing
×

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments