East Hawaii News

Two Weekend Fires Started By Unattended Candles

September 10, 2012, 12:16 PM HST
* Updated September 11, 10:20 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Unattended candles sparked fires that destroyed two homes in unrelated incidents over the weekend, Hawaii Fire Department spokesmen said.

Firefighters arriving at 135 Alani St. in Hilo at 5:22 a.m. Sunday found a single-story home engulfed in flames.

Two unidentified people were injured in the fire including a man taken to Hilo Medical Center suffering from burns and smoke inhalation. A woman also injured declined transport to the hospital.

Three engines and 14 firefighters from the Kawailani fire station responded to the blaze which took well over an hour to extinguish.

Damage to the home was estimated at $160,000. According to county tax records, the home belonged to Juan and Abigail Pascua

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

No one was injured in the other fire which destroyed a home in the Mauna Loa Estates subdivision in Volcano.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

When firefighters arrived at the scene at the corner of 7th and Pearl Streets at 11:28 p.m. Saturday they found flames extending out of windows and doors. They were able to put out the fire before the structure collapsed, but the home with an attached garage and storage area valued at $210,000 was considered a total loss.

A candle left burning in a bedroom was determined to be the cause of that fire.

 

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.