Five County Pools Closing For Safety Improvements
Hawaii County will be closing five of its swimming pools over the next month to allow workers to install safety upgrades.
The pools will each be closed for approximately 10 days to allow installation of new drain covers that meet federal standards addressing potential entrapment issues, said Jason Armstrong, spokesman for the county Department of Parks and Recreation.
Armstrong said because of the nature of the work involved it won’t be possible to predict when each upgrade will be completed. He encouraged pool users to contact pool staff for reopening dates.
The closure schedule and contact number for each pool is as follows:
- April 21 – NAS Pool in Hilo (961-8697)
- April 22 or 23 – Charles “Sparky” Kawamoto Pool (961-8698)
- April 28 – Pāhala Pool (928-8177)
- May 4 – Kona Pool at Konawaena High School (323-3252)
- May 21 – Kona Community Aquatic Center Pool (KCAC) (327-3500)
New drain covers have already been installed at the Laupahoehoe and Kohala pools. Similar work at the Pahoa pool will be scheduled at a later date.